As a great blogger once said, in the world of SEO, content is king. And, one of the most efficient methods of adding content to a site is through a blog. Daily posts on a blog will not only steadily increase the amount of content on your site, but it will also provide a resource for building keyword relevance and internal linking.
A WordPress blog is arguably the most SEO-friendly platform for content creation. Not only is it simple to use, but with the addition of the right SEO plugins, you can basically set it on auto-pilot. It’s important to note, however, that you must still understand basic linking strategy in order to effectively utilize your WordPress blog.
Starting with blog content, you must thoughtfully plan your approach. Write a blog post with your keywords in mind and be sure to mention the exact keyword approximately 1-2 times throughout the post. Aim to write at least 400 words in each post and mention the keyword(s) within the first 100 words – this helps spiders to identify them as important. Additionally, create co-occurrence by including a keyword in the title of your post.
Once the post is written, it’s time to upload it to WordPress and create your links. The following guidelines are essential to remember when building a link.
- Always use a keyword as anchor text for your link.
- Link to the first occurrence of the keyword (which should be within the first 100 words of the post.)
- Make sure that you consistently link to the same url from a given keyword across all blog posts.
- Linking from multiple keywords is okay but only if each link leads to a unique url.
- Try not to link excessively – a minimum content:link ratio is 100 words:1 link.
By following these guidelines, you can skillfully mold your blog into a content-creating, internal link-building machine. If you haven’t already, build a blog on your site and start today!