There is nothing more frustrating than being stuck on page 2 or worse in search engines when your most cherished rankings loses traction or stagnates indefinitely until some type of SEO intervention occurs. Having keywords plateau in the SERPs (search engine result pages) is not uncommon, but what can you do to “break a ranking loose” or eliminate theme diffusion where a keyword simply fizzles out?
Below we outline 5 simple SEO tips that can help you infuse some pep in your ranking step or at least elect a new champion page to assume an upward and onward trajectory.
Here are 5 Tactful SEO Tips:
- Consolidate Internal Links – Look at how many pages you have targeting the keyword in question. Most people make the mistake of linking only to the homepage, if you want individual keywords to have prominence in the rankings, make sure you choose a clear champion page and use that as the preferred link destination for both internal and external links.
- Minimize On Page Duplicity - Evaluate the degree of duplicity on the site and or pages. There are many ways to create rankings (allintext, allintitle, allinanchor – using content, mass title tags or links) and depending on your approach, you may have excessive or redundant elements that require more distinction to increase term weight or relevance score. Pages sparse in content are often overlooked and if they go supplemental or are de-indexed, then so does the ranking factor they contributed as well.
- Increase Deep Links – Lack of deep links to the target page. Deep links (links to specific pages with specific keywords) are the way to elevate those deeper pages in the site into “active status”. Would you rather have one page that ranks for moderate keywords that are partially relevant, or multiple pages that rank specifically for targeted keywords and key phrases?Deep linking evokes latent potential and translates it into analogous “kinetic vs. potential energy” in search engines. So, make sure each critical page has sufficient traction by building 5 links or more to internal pages that matter.
- Build Tiered Support to Off Page Links – Think of building links to your links as augmenting the chain of command in search engines. The stronger and more relevant each backlink from other sites is, the more link flow they pass to your website via the preferred anchor text. Building 20-30 links to existing links or re-sparking interest to your backlinks through social media is pure link insurance (not to mention you can strengthen your link profile) without technically adding additional diversity.
- Assign a New Preferred Landing Page – Sometimes no matter how hard you try to make an old page seem fresh, new and relevant, the algorithm does not favor stale content. This is real value of continually adding fresh / relevant content and using internal links (much like Wikipedia) to cement relevance through keyword co-occurrence.Pages closest to the root folder with a laser-like title, internal links, h1 tag and on page content targeting 1-3 words are ideal as preferred landing pages. If aged internal pages from the past sprout Pagerank make sure you add a new link from those aged pages to your new keyword destination. As a result, the synergy of the old and the new create buoyancy for rankings and can either make a previous page fluid and / or create a double ranking or ranking with jump links (links from other internal pages) to increase the probability of conversion from click through traffic.