Catching SEO Blunders
Let’s face it, in the real world, sometimes things break. Maintaining your SEO efforts is as important and the initial push that put them in place to begin with; this requires you sweep your site for changes for things which could negatively impact rankings.
Catching SEO Blunders
10 Common SEO Blunders That Could Make Your Rankings Dip.
- Your .htaccess file gets corrupted, changed or hacked.
- The robots.txt is altered and blocks the bots from crawling or indexing content.
- A plugin, add-on/module or CMS system is malfunctioning and breaking naming conventions or creates 404 errors (broken links).
- There is an excessive amount of duplicate content such as meta tags, server side elements, footer links, etc) that toggle an algorithmic suppression from search engines.
- Server load time could cause a time-out, thus blocking bots from reaching key pages (which support the link flow for other pages).
- You made too many changes too quickly to pages in your website, which can disrupt the trust and infrastructure your website previously had.
- You built and or acquired or built too many links too fast and set of an algorithmic filter in search engines for unnatural link velocity.
- You added too many pages too quickly (such as dumping 500 new pages into a site overnight) when you should have added them gradually to increase spider activity.
- You excessively linked from common areas of the site from every page with the same anchor and thus cannibalized your SEO efforts of distinguishing each page as a relevant and unique target page.
- Your website could be suffering from over-optimization or from linking out to a bad neighborhood (untrusted site).
One of the more common things is that your competition turned up the heat for their own SEO efforts and you got too comfortable in complacency (and not defending your position).
Regardless of what happened, each of the ten variables above can be traced back to a systemic root or cause and effect relationship. With the right method, the proper diagnosis and some corrective measures, recovering from a dip in SERP (search engine result page) positioning is all part of the SEO process.
Remaining vigilant and diligent in SEO defense as well as skimming the components that constitute a solid position will keep your search engine optimization tactics polished and ready to deal with inconsistencies (whether deliberate or accidental) as they arise.
Read More Related Posts
Is it rankings that produce website authority or website authority that produces rankings for SEO? Ultimately, which one is more important? Just like the conundrum about which came first the ...READ MORE
You've heard of duplicate content, but how do you know if you are creating it or how to stop it from penalizing your website? If you have a WordPress site, ...READ MORE
There is a reason why SEO is never one and done as a practical internet marketing strategy. It takes months to develop the right signals over time for competitive markets. ...READ MORE
If you are involved in SEO and make your living ranking websites for competitive keywords, you have to know which of these three aspects (SEO, Competition or Authority) you are ...READ MORE
Search Rankings start with great keywords, in fact targeting the wrong keywords or modifiers only attracts the wrong audience to your content. Optimizing the right keywords and modifiers is your ...READ MORE
It’s understandable why many feel the same way as the woman in the picture about organic SEO. You'll need patience to see results and cultivating enough patience to reserve judgement ...READ MORE
With all of the fancy jargon-rich industry terms flying around, it doesn't really matter if you call it SEO "search engine optimization", SEM "search engine marketing", SMO "social media optimization" ...READ MORE
There are multiple applications for SEO, one use of search engine optimization is to bring dormant content to the forefront to increase the value of engagement for your online property. ...READ MORE
Link building is a time consuming and meticulous SEO endeavor. In the long run, some links pass value more than others, which is why diversity is the key to creating ...READ MORE
In SEO for Large Websites Part I & Part II, we discussed the importance of starting with a goal in mind and tying it to competitive keyword thresholds, an overview ...READ MORE
Authority or Rankings, Which is More Important for
Duplicate Content, What is it and How to
SEO is Never One and Done!
The Difference Between SEO, Competition and Authority!
Search Rankings Start with Great Keywords
10 SEO Tips to Shorten the Time to
Search Engine Marketing SEO or SMO? Who Cares
How to Create The SEO Wiki Effect
SEO Link Building Tips: Other Ways to Build
SEO for Large Websites Part III