Catching SEO Blunders
Let’s face it, in the real world, sometimes things break. Maintaining your SEO efforts is as important and the initial push that put them in place to begin with; this requires you sweep your site for changes for things which could negatively impact rankings.
Catching SEO Blunders
10 Common SEO Blunders That Could Make Your Rankings Dip.
- Your .htaccess file gets corrupted, changed or hacked.
- The robots.txt is altered and blocks the bots from crawling or indexing content.
- A plugin, add-on/module or CMS system is malfunctioning and breaking naming conventions or creates 404 errors (broken links).
- There is an excessive amount of duplicate content such as meta tags, server side elements, footer links, etc) that toggle an algorithmic suppression from search engines.
- Server load time could cause a time-out, thus blocking bots from reaching key pages (which support the link flow for other pages).
- You made too many changes too quickly to pages in your website, which can disrupt the trust and infrastructure your website previously had.
- You built and or acquired or built too many links too fast and set of an algorithmic filter in search engines for unnatural link velocity.
- You added too many pages too quickly (such as dumping 500 new pages into a site overnight) when you should have added them gradually to increase spider activity.
- You excessively linked from common areas of the site from every page with the same anchor and thus cannibalized your SEO efforts of distinguishing each page as a relevant and unique target page.
- Your website could be suffering from over-optimization or from linking out to a bad neighborhood (untrusted site).
One of the more common things is that your competition turned up the heat for their own SEO efforts and you got too comfortable in complacency (and not defending your position).
Regardless of what happened, each of the ten variables above can be traced back to a systemic root or cause and effect relationship. With the right method, the proper diagnosis and some corrective measures, recovering from a dip in SERP (search engine result page) positioning is all part of the SEO process.
Remaining vigilant and diligent in SEO defense as well as skimming the components that constitute a solid position will keep your search engine optimization tactics polished and ready to deal with inconsistencies (whether deliberate or accidental) as they arise.
Read More Related Posts
In case you are searching for SEO alternatives for the rel="nofollow" tag to sculpt page rank, at the end of this post there are links and suggestions for an old ...
Though Google’s recent introduction of Google Instant has been largely well-received by users, it is already causing headaches and heartburn for SEOs who are trying to figure out the ways ...
There is a reason why SEO is never one and done as a practical internet marketing strategy. It takes months to develop the right signals over time for competitive markets. ...
Taking a page from the SEO playbook; have you ever wondered which SEO strategy is best, tiered site architecture with multiple nodes, flat site architecture (with everything in the root) ...
If you ever wanted to make SEO landing pages rank like Pay Per Click (PPC) landing pages, then this tutorial is for you. If you understand the implication of this ...
Lets face it, SEO Positioning is important. The top 3 results on any given search represent 80% of the traffic funneling to those pages. Call it convenience by association, laziness ...
With all of the marketing jargon about sales funnels, sales cycles, message matching and utilizing enticing value propositions to encourage click throughs and conversions its easy to forget what proceeds ...
Contained in this post are practical SEO Tips to step over complacent competitors by targeting the least common denominator with SEO. This, in turn, churns lackluster contenders off the page ...
There comes a point when you cross a particular threshold where the conditional aspects of continuity suggest alternatives, specifically in contention to SEO and conversion. Logic suggests that we need SEO ...
Often you hear people say, "if I only knew then what I know now", and how things would be different if I could have applied the pearls of wisdom from ...
Forget No-Follow: Try This PageRank Sculpting SEO Alternative
CTR Stats to Change Due to Google Instant
SEO is Never One and Done!
Revisiting Essential SEO Strategies
Make SEO Landing Pages That Rank Like PPC
Alternative Traffic Sources: Diversity and Conversion
SEO Tips to Step Over Competitors
Create Traffic or Optimize Existing Traffic?
SEO Principles and the Wisdom of Applied SEO